perjantai 17. maaliskuuta 2017

How to turn a year-2004-PC with Windows XP into a modern Linux computer

Yesterday I received a donation; a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop from year 2004 with the following specs:
  • 512 MB of RAM
  • 60 GB harddisk
  • 1.6 GHz Pentium M
  • Windows XP on harddisk
There are many lightweight Linux distributions to choose from. Off I went and swiped out Windows XP with something lighter in mind:
  1. Lubuntu didn't fit in since it requires PAE.
  2. Debian Linux was also out of the question - it is way too fat operating system nowadays - at least for my tiny PC!
  3. After those two there were not that many candidates left. Thank heavens Tiny Core Linux made my day! It loads super-fast, offers a simple yet usable desktop and the latest software (for example Firefox- and Chromium-browsers).
I'm testing Fujitsu-Siemens at the moment. Wifi (IPW2200) is built-in and supported by Tiny Core Linux. Localized keyboard is not yet configured but there are instructions available.

Edit: turns out one can install Puppy Linux on harddisk. I will try it next!

Desktop is simple yer usable

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti