It's a tiny Linux distribution for any Raspberry Pi (and other SBCs) full of ready-to-run software. Whether you want to setup a server or wifi hotspot with DietPi chances are DietPi will run those tasks for you. Take a look at the list of all the software available for DietPi!
How to download, extract and write DietPi on an SD card?
Download the image which is delivered as a 7zip-package (~ 90 MB). If you don't have any tool to extract .7z -files, follow these instructions:
- Open Terminal to get to the command line
- Install p7zip-full package:
- sudo apt-get install p7zip-full
- To extract files with extension .7z :
- 7z e DietPi_RPi-armv6-(Jessie).7z
- e stands for extract
Use either a graphical tool or command dd to write the extracted image (~ 550 MB) on an SD card. An example:
- sudo dd if=DietPi_v136_RPi-armv6-(Jessie).img of=/dev/sdd
- Attention! SD card is not always sdd!
Run DietPi on any RaspberryPi
It doesn't matter which RaspberryPi you have. DietPi runs on any Raspi! So get your gear ready and fire up your Raspberry Pi.
Once up and running you want to choose a server or two for your needs. Make sure Raspi is connected to the Internet. Let DietPi download and install automatic updates. Run DietPi-Software via the command line: dietpi-launcher or dietpi-software. Have fun!
Text-based interface for choosing software