perjantai 26. joulukuuta 2014

ArnoldTheBat's special build of Chromium OS is just fabulous!

Chromium OS inside my old mini laptop - fantastic!

Chromium OS is an open source version of Google's Chrome OS. ArnoldTheBat is a developer offering a special version of Chromium OS. I decided to give it a go. Now I'm a very pleased owner of an old mini laptop with automatically updating Chromium OS on hard disk! In addition localization works out of the box! Read below the steps I took.

Edit: Auto-update is not working just yet (in the end of December 2014).

My Acer Aspire One ZG5 running Chromium OS!

Prepare your USB stick and boot PC from USB
Install Chromium OS on hard disk
  • Type Ctrl-Alt-T
  • Type shell
  • Type sudo su (password is "password" without citations)
  • Type cd /usr/sbin
  • Type ./chromeos-install --dst /dev/sda (sda is my hard disk)
  • Wait until the installation is ready, if asked answer yes and your hard disk is wiped
  • Type shutdown -h now
  • Hope for the best!
Boot your PC and sign in
  • Remove USB stick
  • Boot your PC
  • Choose your language and network
  • Sign in with Google account
If you want to see the memory consumption, type Ctrl-Alt-T, type shell and type top (q for quit). In my case I only have 1 GB RAM. However Acer Aspire One ZG5 leaves me 10 MB free memory! ZG5 boots in approximately 20 seconds. Not bad!

When I was signing in Chromium OS promised all updates take action automatically. That's very nice and comfortable! I guess my laptop downloads updates from ArnoldTheBat's server, not from Google.

So far I'm very happy with Chromium OS!

3 kommenttia:

  1. hei, still read this post?
    I have this legacy netbook and wanted a recent build that works with mine.
    Do you know which one should i download ?

    VastaaPoista
  2. Try Neverware's CloudReady instead. So go and find CloudReady via Google.

    VastaaPoista
  3. Lets see what happen. Thanks for the advice!!!

    VastaaPoista